Fighting for the Accused in Macon County & Surrounding Areas
Being accused of a crime is a life-changer that can jeopardize your reputation, job or career, freedom, and future. If you have never been involved in the criminal justice system before, it can also be confusing. You may have misconceptions about the law and how it works in your particular situation. You may be overwhelmed by what has happened and how to move forward.
At such a stressful time, you need a trusted advocate on your side for guidance, counsel, and support. The last thing you will want is to be represented by someone for whom you are “just another case.”
At Hawkins, Amero & Root P.C., you will never be just another number on a file. We work for and represent people – people who we know are unique individuals with specific needs and goals. Our team also knows that you are likely facing one of the worst experiences in your life and its resolution is of the utmost importance to you and your family. As a smaller office, we can take the time to provide the personalized attention you deserve at this critical crossroads. Our experienced attorneys will listen to you, investigate your case, and develop a customized strategy specific to you. Our goal is to help you obtain the best possible outcome.
Arrested for a crime? Contact us online or at (217) 599-6110 to arrange for a free initial consultation with a Decatur criminal defense attorney. Discuss your case and learn your options.
Criminal Defense Cases We Handle
Our team of criminal defense lawyers has long experience in dealing with criminal investigations, arrests, and charges. We know that attention to detail is crucial in finding weaknesses in the prosecutor’s case and in building strong defenses on your behalf. By conducting a full investigation into your arrest and charges, we can find ways to explore all available defense options.
Our team handles both state and federal crimes, including but not limited to:
- DUI, whether this is a first or subsequent offense
- Drug crimes, such as possession, distribution, sales, manufacturing, and trafficking
- Domestic violence crimes against intimate partners, family members, or household members
- Theft crimes, including shoplifting, auto theft, and felony theft
- White collar crimes, ranging from identity theft to embezzlement, money laundering, forgery, various types of fraud, and more
- Weapon charges, ranging from possession of a firearm to discharging, brandishing, or unlawfully selling firearms, and more
- Traffic violations and crimes, such as reckless driving, driving on a suspended license, speeding, texting while driving, and more
- Assault and battery
- Juvenile offenses, including misdemeanors and felonies
- Probation violations
- Violent crimes, such as sexual assault, reckless homicide, manslaughter, and murder
The penalties you are at risk for may include jail or prison time, hefty fines, lengthy probation, license suspension, community service, or other consequences depending on the nature of the offense. A conviction will also give you a permanent criminal record accessible on a background check that can impair future employment, housing, professional license eligibility, and other opportunities.
When accused of a crime, time is of the essence. You need to put a capable defender on your side as soon as possible who will ensure that your rights are protected and that you have the counsel you need to make crucial decisions and understand each phase of the process. Our team is here to level the playing field against aggressive law enforcement and prosecutors. We will work for favorable outcomes, such as case dismissals, reduced charges, or diversion programs, depending on the circumstances, as well as prepare your case for trial if that is the best option.
- Decades of Experience
- Personalized Attention
- Stress-Free Environment
- Trustworthy Representation
- Knowledgeable Attorneys